ESTABLISHED IN 1596
The Old Auctioneer is the third oldest building in Banbury, built-in 1596 and surviving the great fire of 1628. The site itself dates to medieval times and was originally known in colourful terms reflecting the economic activity of the street before being renamed Parsons Street in 1410.
The pub became known as the Flying Horse and in the 1830s as many as 53 coaches left the pub for London weekly taking 7 hours to get there.
NO ORDINARY PUB
We built the bar from old fort doors sourced from Fort Saint-Andre, Avignon. The wood panelling in the restaurant and stairwell was salvaged from World War Two American ammunition crates. The floorboards at the front of the building are the original boards as are the beams above, which were sourced during construction from a wrecked Spanish Galleon.
The Foreign Exchange sign over reception came from Coutts Bank in the Strand and the old spotlights on the restaurant walls came from the Queens dressmakers alteration fitting platform in Bruton Street owned by Sir Norman Hartnell and illuminated the Queens Coronation Dress.
FIND US HERE
The Old Auctioneer, 44 Parsons Street, Banbury, OX16 5NA